The mission of the Newark Teachers Association is
- To represent its members in their relations with their employer, and to be the exclusive representative of appropriate units of school employees in all matters relating to employment conditions and employer-employee relations including, but not limited to, wages, hours, and other terms and conditions of employment;
- To form a representative body capable of developing group opinion on professional matters to speak with authority for unit members;
- To provide an opportunity for continuous study and action on problems of the profession;
- To provide a means of representation for its diverse membership;
- To promote professional attitudes and ethical conduct among members;
- To encourage cooperation and communication between the profession and the community; and
- To foster good fellowship among members.
The current vision of the Newark Teachers Association is:
- To unify all of our membership around our mission statement;
- To encourage all of our members to actively participate in the functions of the Association;
- To ensure that all provisions of the collective bargaining agreement are fully complied with;
- To encourage membership to assist the Association in voicing our views on affecting education;
- To make our views more visible through organization of the membership;
- To ensure that the Association has the full trust of its membership in representing the unit.